» What to see & do nearby
To our guests we have prepared a simple map to show some of many interesting places to see in our neighbourhood and region. There is ofcourse a lot more to see, but we hope this will be a good start for planning Your stay in the region:
There is also a wide choice of free maps and guides available in our tourist information centre (reception).
In few words:
Camping and holiday house “Leiputrija” is perfectly situated among several significant places of interest:
- RIGA CITY: its Art nouveau district which has been called the most significant and central monument of Art nouveau architecture in the world (!), the Old town, Zoo, Central market, National opera, TV tower (the highest free standing tower in EU), Open-air stage of Mezaparks – home of Guiness record holder – Latvian Song and Dance festival, are only couple of first things that come into mind when thinking about Riga. Basically in Riga You can get all the entertainment and leisure possibilities that a city could ever offer.
- CARNIKAVA seaside town: kingdom of lamprey. Lamprey shops, lamprey tasting, annual lamprey festival. Well, and a lot besides lamprey. EuroVelo and Baltic Costal Hiking routes are passing Carnikava and “Leiputrija” is connected with Carnikava conveniently by nice cycling/hiking route (no.10).
- NATURE PARK “Piejura” (seaside) and estuary of Gauja river
- ADAZI town: the closest town to camping “Leiputrija”, offering all the simple things: from small artisan shops till supermarkets, post office, cafes and restaurants, sports centres of various taste and finally – a very good bus connection with Riga city (transfer from and to Adazi are offered by camping “Leiputrija”).
- BEST MUSEUMS: Etnographic open-air museum of Latvia, Riga Motormuseum (recently reconstructed), Sauna museum, Bicycle museum of Saulkrasti.
- GAUJA RIVER: the longest (452 km) and most picturesque river of Latvia. The only big river which has preserved it’s beautiful original estuary of Baltic sea (Nature park Piejura). Gauja river is indisputably the favourite riverway for canoeing and kayaking as it flows uninterrupted for more than 400 km: there are no dams or powerplants built on the river. Enjoy!
- SAULKRASTI seaside resort: White dune, Sunset trail along seaside, restaurants and more.
- GAUJA NATIONAL PARK: the first and most popular National park in Latvia with tonns of things to see, taste and feel. ~VIDEO~
- KEMERU NATIONAL PARK: the park stands out with its diverse world of wetlands. It is home to moss or raised bogs (boardwalk), fens, and transitional bogs. The Great Kemeri Bog is one of the largest of its kind in Latvia. ~VIDEO-1~ ~VIDEO-2~
- SOVIET MILITARY HERITAGE: military firing range of Adazi, Missile bunkers near Carnikava and Kalngale, Daugavgriva fortress, The secret bunker of Ligatne and much more. Our countries have survived many conquerors coming and going during past hundreds of years, therefor we have lots to offer for those interested in monuments of such history. Excursions/sightseeing tours on ATV’s are offered in campsite “Leiputrija”.
- NATURA 2000 NATURE RESERVES: there are several areas in the nearest surroundings of the campsite, the closest from which is easily reacheble by taking a short walk (~1km). We have also marked a nice easy-level cycling route around the closest “Natura 2000” area with start and finish right in the campsite.
- WHAT ELSE? …did we mentioned the best mushroom and berry picking places of the region? …a former Riga-St.Peterburg road section and lots of significant grand oaks? In fact one of grand trees (lime/linden) of the region is located right by the entrance gate of the camping – You will not miss it.
Baltic costal hiking: LINK TO WEBPAGE