» Information für Touristen
We have a TOURIST INFORMATION CENTER on the place: free brochures and maps (including “Leiputrija’s” Pocket map of interesting sights in Riga region) available as well as small reading room and good suggestions from our personnel.
Republic of Latvia is a country in Northeurope. It is located in west side of an Eastern Europe plain, on shore of Baltic see and Riga bay between Baltic countries Estonia (on north) and Lithuania (on south). Latvia became an independent country in November 18th of 1918. But in July 21st of 1940 Latvia was violently annexed to USSR and from that time almost for 50 years it was called Soviet socialistic republic of Latvia. After passing the declaration of
independence in May 4th of 1990., once again Latvia was pronounced an independent democratic country – Republic of Latvia.
Latvia has been a member of the United Nations since September 17, 1991; of the European Union since May 1, 2004 and of the NATO since March 29, 2004. Latvia is also a member of WTO.
It has land border with Russia, Belarus, Lithuania and Estonia. Across the Baltic Sea to the west lies Sweden.
An inlet of the Baltic Sea, the shallow Gulf of Riga is situated in the northwest of the country. Latvia’s beautiful coastline with white and sandy beaches extends for MORE THAN 500 kilometers (!)
More useful information about Latvia see HERE
Capital city: Riga Area: 64.589 km² Number of inhabitants: 2.261.294 (in January, 2009.) Currency: Latvian lats (LVL) and santims (1 LVL = 100 santims). No Euros are accepted in shops yet! Approximate rate of exchange: EUR 1,00 = LVL 0,70. Correct rate of exchange see HERE! National language: latvian. Most of citizens speak also russian and english. Short phrasebook see HERE! In case of emergency call: 112 (police, ambulance, fire-department etc.). Calling code: +371 Time zone: EET (UTC+2). In summer: EEST (UTC+3) Current weather and 3 day forecast see HERE! Some of Public holidays (2009):
- January 1st – New Year’s day.
- March 8th – International women’s day
- April 10th – Good-Friday.
- April 12th and 13th – Easter.
- May 1st – Labour Day/Convocation of the constituent assembly of the republic of Latvia.
- May 4th – Restoration of independence of the republic of Latvia.
- May 9th – Europe day.
- The secons sunday in May – Mothers’ day.
- May 15th – International day of the family.
- May 19th – The announcing the declaration of independence of republic of Latvia day.
- June 1st – International children’s day.
- June 23rd and 24th – festivity Līgo and Jāņi.
- The 2nd saturday of July – Sea festival day.
- September 1st - Knowledge day.
- September 22 – Baltic unity day.
- November 11th – Latvian freedom fighters’ remembrance day – Lāčplēsis (“bearslayer”) day.
- November 18th – Proclamation of the Republic of Latvia.
- December 24th, 25th and 26th – Christmas.
- December 31th – New year’s Eve.
- + all Sundays.
Embassy of Great Britain:
Tel: +00 371 6777 4700 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Entrance from street Alunāna 5.
Embassy of Russia:
Address: Street Ąntonijas 2, Rīga, Latvija, LV-1010 Tel.: +371 7332151 Fax: +371 7830209 e-mail: email@example.com
Embassy of Spain:
Address: Elizabetes street 11, 3. floor, Rīga, LV-1010, Latvija Tel.: (371) 6732 02 81 Fax: (371) 6732 50 05 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Embassy of Germany:
Address: Raiņa bulev. 13, LV 1050 Rīga, Latvija Address for mail: a/k 183, LV 1047 Rīga, Latvija Tel.: (371) 6722 90 96 (371) 6722 97 64 Fax: (371) 6782 02 23 (371) 6782 02 24
Embassy of USA:
Address: Raiņa bulvāris 7, Rīga, LV-1510, Latvija Tel.: (371) 670 362 00 Fax: (371) 678 200 47 E-mail: email@example.com
Search for best places of interest in Latvia also here: